Did you know April was National Lawn Care Month? About 2/3 of all homeowners choose to manage their own lawn care regimens, but Spring is the most popular time to throw in the towel and call a lawn care company. Some weekend warriors actually want their weekends back! Whether you tend your lawn yourself or you’ve hired out your lawn care needs to a local company, these 12 lawn care facts might surprise you…
– Did you know there are over 46 million acres of turf in the US? There are over 3,000 species of grass, 50 of which are cultivated for turf.
– If you manage your lawn yourself, you spend an average of four hours per week maintaining the quality of your lawn.
– Only about 10% of all common lawn bugs actually interfere with the quality of plant and turf production.
– Almost 60% of all fresh-cut flowers in the US come from California…thinking about buffing up that spring garden?
– Bamboo is the fastest growing plant in the world, though not all that common in home lawns. It can grow over 30 inches in one single day.
– Strawberries are the only fruit that bears its seeds on the outside – they’re a common first-time gardener crop to grow.
– Statistically, Georgia has the largest average lawn size at over 1/2 an acre. Washington DC has the smallest at .06 acres
– 30-60% of urban fresh water is used for watering lawns, says the EPA. Cut back on your water usage by planting more drought-hearty plants!
– Home lawn-care providers use up to ten times the pesticides farmers do. Leave your bug-prevention to the pros to avoid this statistic.
– The average homeowner saves over $1000 by purchasing a yearly contract with a lawn care company as opposed to per-cut rates.
– Mowing requires more time than all other lawn care routines combined in order to perform properly.
– The most common reason homeowners report needing to totally replace the sod in a yard? Too much fertilizer.
If you’re surprised by any of these facts, it may be time to call a home lawn care professional. Tired of spending hours each week toiling away in the hot sun just to have a green, luscious yard? Bring in the pros and watch your lawn flourish like never before.
Whether or not you’ve ever worked with a lawn care company, this spring is a great time to get some help. Call a local lawn professional today to find out what your yard needs – and head off any problems before it’s too late.